Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Un-boring Lunchbox Challenge

I realized the other day that my poor children have been eating the same boring lunch every day for the entire school year.  Occasionally some leftover spaghetti would show up in their lunchbox but most days when they opened their boxes in the cafeteria they found the same thing, a deli meat and cheese sandwich, bag of chips and an apple.  Sometimes I would get really crazy and even include a string cheese...poor kids.

So after being told by Shan that she felt "stuck in a lunch rut" I have issued a challenge to myself.  I will NOT send another boring lunch for the remainder of the school year (thankfully there are only 4 1/2 weeks left!)

The rules for this challenge are:
  1. No prepackaged deli meat and cheese sandwiches. They will still get sandwiches, however, I vow to be more creative than a couple slices of smoked ham and a slice of swiss cheese.
  2. They will not take the same lunch more than once each week unless requested.  
  3. No individual bags of chips.  Chips are delicious, but they have too much bad stuff and not enough good stuff.  I will still send small portions from time to time, but they will not be from a fun assortment.  
  4. Every lunch will contain a fruit or vegetable, or both.  I've always followed this rule of lunchbox packing etiquette and I don't intend to stop now!
  5. Nothing too stinky. They have to sit by other people.  I want them to have friends.
  6. It has to be budget friendly.  I'm not going to be packing fancy sushi rolls or prime rib sandwiches just for the sake of being creative.  The ingredients will remain largely budget friendly, though leftover prime rib or lamb may find it's way into a crusty french roll from time to time. 
  7. Have FUN! This isn't about making lunch packing harder, it's about making it fun and creative and delicious.  My kids have adult tastes that should be celebrated at every meal.  I shouldn't save the goat cheese and shredded veggie sandwiches just for me!


The Challenge has been issued! Ready, Set, GO!


1 comment: