Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Green is Good!

So far the score is Mom-3, boring lunch box-0. Today's lunchbox had a pesto chicken sandwich with spinach, avocado and alfalfa sprouts.  I made the pesto yesterday and the chicken was leftover grilled chicken breasts from dinner the other night, so the sandwiches were quick and easy to build this morning, and definitely NOT boring.

I made quinoa salad for dinner last night, and the kids liked it so much that they requested it for lunch today. It was so delicious with tomatoes, cucumber, red onions, feta cheese, fresh herbs and some lemon juice. I was a little concerned that it might violate the "No stinky foods" rule, but was assured by the kids that it was in compliance.  I also stuck in some grapes and a couple of  chocolate chip cookies for good measure.

One of the most important lessons I learned in high school is that cookie dough out of the freezer is delicious! (Thanks Student Store for the memories!) As such, whenever I make cookies I portion out the dough and freeze the balls so that I can pull them out and bake them off a couple at a time or just enjoy a piece of chocolate chip cookie dough.  I baked a few of them while I was making sandwiches this morning, so the kids woke up to the smell of fresh baked cookies.  Needless to say I think the cookies will be the highlight of their lunches today!

1 comment: