Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Last Week's Lunches

The challenge continues and so far I am definitely winning!  The un-boring lunchbox has been a huge success with the kids. They've even asked if I will continue next year!  The farther into this endeavor I get, the easier it is to come up with lunches that are healthy, satisfying and more creative that a sandwich and a bag of chips, so I will definitely continue for the next school year!  Last week's meals were a huge success, in fact, all of them have been requested for repeat!

On Tuesday I packed chicken tacos/salad, it was a hands on meal with many possibilities, I packed the shredded chicken in a separate compartment from the rest of the toppings so that they could heat it in the microwave if they chose (two did, one didn't), then I included lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar cheese and a stack of tortillas.  I packaged the salsa in a separate container so that it wouldn't make everything soggy and replaced the sour cream with greek yogurt (none of them even noticed!) I'm told it was delicious and can be packed anytime!

Wednesday has become sandwich day, but not just typical sandwiches. Last Wednesday, I packed them a sandwich of goat cheese, spinach, cucumber and ham on whole wheat.  They all told me they loved it (even the one who said that the pesto chicken the week before had way too much green in it).  I packed them a few kettle chips and some apple slices with peanut butter for dipping.  Another successful lunch!



On Thursday last week, I packed leftovers.  Not just any leftovers, however, but leftover calzones filled with my homemade pizza sauce, spinach, mushrooms, caramelized onions, italian sausage and mozzarella.  Along with the calzones I packed some apple slices, but that was it because I knew that they were going to be stuffed!

No comments:

Post a Comment