Wednesday, May 9, 2012

This Week...So Far

I feel like I'm settling into a nice groove with this challenge.  When I plan and shop for my weeks dinners, I also now sit down and plan lunches so I know what's coming up each day.  I have also found that, with a little planning, this challenge has added surprising little to my grocery budget each week, since I am using ingredients or dishes that are leftover from dinners during the week.



Over the weekend we made a dish we call "Haystacks", it's kind of a cross between nachos and taco salad and it is wonderful!  I promise I will post our families recipe for Haystacks at a later time, it's a favorite Friday night treat.  Since I was planning ahead, I prepared extra taco meat and set it aside so that on Monday I could send taco salad for lunch.  They loved it! And once again, no one noticed that I replaced the sour cream with greek yogurt!

For Tuesday's lunch, I honored a request for a repeat.  The big winner of the challenge, so far, is the Italian pasta salad, I think we could all eat it for lunch every day and not get bored!  This time I changed it up just a tad (mostly because I'm forgetful and I forgot to get some olives) instead, I cut some mushrooms up and marinated them in some balsamic vinegar for about 15 minutes before draining them and adding them to the salad.  Delicious!



Today being Wednesday I felt like a sandwich was in order.  So, I set aside some of last night's meatloaf to make meatloaf sandwiches today,  I was so excited about making them that when I remembered that  I was out of mayonnaise, I could let that stop me.  Thankfully, I know how to make mayonnaise and have the freshest eggs available at any time, so I whipped up a batch of delicious homemade mayonnaise for the meatloaf sandwiches, topped them with some lettuce and our favorite Tillamook cheddar cheese, and the result was the best meatloaf sandwich ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment