Thursday, May 10, 2012

Fried Rice

Wow, I can't believe it's been three weeks since I started this challenge! As I was making lunch this morning, I was thinking about how great it would be if more kids could have lunches like this, wholesome, satisfying meals that fill their bellies and keep them healthy.  It's a shame that our public schools have such terrible offerings in the cafeteria, when dishes such as vegetable fried rice can be made in so little time and with such little effort.

The fried rice that I made this morning turned out delicious, I walked out of the kitchen for a minute and came back to find the kids scraping the bits off of the bottom of the pan.  I know that they are really looking forward to lunch time today.  This was a great dish, because, with a little bit of planning  (making extra rice at dinner last night), it was quick to throw together.  It took less than twenty minutes to get the lunches packed!

To make the vegetable fried rice, I scrambled a couple of eggs, then set them aside.  In the same pan, I cooked some garlic, ginger and the white parts of a couple of green onions.  Then I threw in some shredded carrots, the tops of the green onions and some frozen peas. I let that cook for a few minutes, stirred in the rice, the scrambled egg and some soy sauce and it was done!  It couldn't have been easier! I topped their meals off with some peach slices and stuck in a pair of chopsticks for them to use.  I'm sure today's lunch will be one to beat!

No comments:

Post a Comment